Another Tottenham player says they are better than Arsenal!

The Tottenham midfielder Steven Pienaar has made a brash prediction that his team will finish above local rivals Arsenal this season, despite there only being eleven Premier League games played so far.

The South Africa international said, “We don’t speak about it but of course you want to finish above your neighbours. It’s a good feeling… Hopefully the way things are going we should finish above them. Then it will feel good walking around north London!”

Pienaar’s Spurs may be two places above Arsenal in fifth place but the gap of just three points is looking to narrow every week, with the Gunners looking in ferocious form. Admittedly, his team have a game in hand over his rivals but the postponed game – Pienaar’s old team Everton at home – won’t be a simple one for Pienaar and co. to win. On top of this, Arsenal have the upper hand when it comes to the range of goalscorers, with 14 different players netting to Spurs’ 11.

Saying “the way things are going we should finish above them” implies that Spurs are playing better than Arsenal and getting more impressive results but he is wildly inaccurate with his comments. Arsène Wenger’s team may have experienced an awful start to the season but they are now back on par with their neighbours now and showing more form and ability to grind out results than any other team in the league. It may be true that Spurs went on a seven game unbeaten run but the fact that it was ended by Rubin Kazan – seventh in the Russian Premier League – does suggest that they aren’t as strong as statistics may make out. Add to this their home drubbing my Manchester City – in which they lost 5-1 – and Tottenham Hotspur certainly don’t look like a side capable of even attempting superiority over the Gunners. Do Arsenal really look like a team capable of losing that badly at home to anyone?

Is Steven Pienaar seriously deluded?