Wenger hopes he won’t regret not buying Hargreaves

Looking at today’s opposition, Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger admits that he wanted to transfer Owen Hargreaves to the club twice but was stopped by different factors. Manchester City’s midfielder who is likely to play in the cup game against Arsenal was injured for a long time but now he’s back and he seems to have recuperated his form.

“He was a regular in the England national team and now for years he has not played at all. Everybody is happy to see him back.”

“When he played at Bayern Munich we followed him very closely but it was big transfer – I think he was sold to Manchester United for £17 million at the time and he only had one year left on his contract. So we didn’t move in for him at that time.”

“In the summer, you consider it but we had players like Frimpong and Coquelin coming back – Song and Diaby in these defensive positions where we were not really in the need.””

Hargreaves was a very talented midfielder but unfortunately he was prone to injury and that got him out of the game for a very long time. Now he seems to be doing a bit better at Manchester City, but it’s very hard for him to catch a first team spot in the championship games due to the very big names in City’s midfield.