Wenger resets Big Four ambitions

Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger is sad about being knocked out of the Carling Cup chase, but he said that this is not the easy competition it once was and that having a semi-final with Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Blackpool should speak for the competition.

“It was an unfair result but I felt we were a bit naive. I felt as well we did not take our corners very well but overall what is frustrating is that we lost a game we looked the winner of.”

“We put a lot of effort in and are not rewarded. We lacked a little bit of experience to be decisive in the final third.”

“I think in midfield (Emmanuel) Frimpong did well and (Francis) Coquelin did well,” he said.

“Sometimes you could feel in the final third we lacked a little in creativity – but overall we did well and I cannot fault the team. They did very well and showed heart, quality and desire.

“You can argue that we lost the easiest trophy to win, but if you look at the teams who are still in it doesn’t seem as easy to win as usually.”

“I consider the championship the most important for us, more than anything else it is important to finish in the top four.”

In all fairness, Wenger didn’t break his Cup rule of using young players who don’t get the chance to play in the championship, but City had quite an all-star team out there with quite a few first team players on the field. Unfortunately Wenger didn’t manage to teach Mancini a managerial lesson and show him that you don’t need expensive players to make a team. Last night the luck was by City’s side, but that’s football.