Wenger – England has a tough task at EURO

Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger offered his point of view about England’s and France’s chances to qualify in the knockout stages of the EURO 2012, but the French manager also underlined the fact that qualifying is not enough if you’ll have to face Spain afterwards.

“England v France is the first game,” he said. “The difference will be made against the two other teams. I believe Ukraine and Sweden will make the difference.

“It could be a draw in the first game and then it will be about who gets out. But if you think that Spain could finish first in the [related group], it is important not only to qualify but also to finish first in the groups.

“It is very open. If these two teams come out of the group they can do well. But Sweden are never easy for England and Ukraine are at home.”

With two unusual countries within the first pot, Ukraine and Poland, the EURO became much more interesting because we will have the honour to watch some very tough games in each group. The downside of the story is that we might be in for a unusual European final which might not be a really interesting one.