Van Persie – I can play every game and I’m not injury-prone!

Robin Van Persie needs to score one goal against Man City tomorrow to equal Thierry Henry’s record for Arsenal goals scored in a calendar year and he believes this consistency has finally proven that he is not injury prone after all, and most of the injuries were inflicted by other people.

He said: “I can play three matches every week and last year I did that many times.

“But sometimes, I have to take a step back as I did against Olympique Marseille in November.

“In the phase before that, I’d played a lot and from the measurement results it showed that I had to rest.

“The trainer wanted me to start the match but at the last moment decided to go along with the results of the GPS system and that was that I could play for a half hour.

“And a couple of days later against West Brom I benefited from that.”

“Ultimately, I’ve been fit now for more than a year and have played in every Premier League match.

“Because of that folk are now seeing that, after all, there is more to me than they thought.

“Of course I understand that there are still some people who are still sceptical about my injuries but when you look closely how they occurred then it’s another story.

“The conclusion is that I couldn’t have prevented them.

“That’s why it’s unfair and misplaced that they say that I was responsible but that’s how it is in the top sport.”

Every Arsenal fan will be praying that (for once) Van Persie can make it through a complete season fully fit. If he does (and carries on scoring the way he is) then Arsenal really can end Arsene Wenger’s six-year trophy drought. Fingers crossed everyone!