Wenger – I don’t need to buy a full-back

Arsene Wenger has shocked Arsenal fans (well me anyway) by declaring that he has no need to bring in another full-back during the January transfer window, despite all four being currently out injured.

Andre Santos is expected to be out for three months and Bacary Sagna is expected back at the end of January. Carl Jenkinson seems to have an ongoing back problem while Kieran Gibbs is always expected back “in the near future” which never happens.

Wenger said: “At the moment it is very difficult because we have players out who are short to come back,”

“There are difficult decisions to make because we are short in the full-back positions.

“But you think, ‘do you really want to buy a full back for three or four years?’

“When you have four out and two close to coming back. I think no, because we have people who can do the job during this period.”

Arsenal are currently using all four of their centre-backs in every game, but what happens if one (or two, even) get injured in the next few weeks? And can they all play EVERY game in this busy period?

***Arsenal to sign Lee Dixon and Nigel Winterburn!***