Surely Wenger can’t be serious about this defender?

We all know that Arsene Wenger is absolutely desperate to bring in a defender on loan immediately, but I find it very hard to believe that the Arsenal manager can seriously believe that he can find the answer to his problems in the Oman second division.

The Times reported today about Saad al-Mukhaini: “The left back, capped 25 times by the Arab nation, is due to arrive at the club this week for a two-day trial. If Wenger decides to offer him a deal, al-Mukhaini would become only the second Omani to play in the Barclays Premier League, after Ali Al Habsi, the Wigan Athletic goalkeeper.”

Wenger himself acknowledged that could hardly justify buying any more permanent full-backs. He said: “I think we have done well being short. We have lost three left backs, two right backs. What can you do? You cannot buy 10 full backs to make sure you have one in case of injury.”

So he is obviously just thinking of loaning the 24 year-old Saad al-Mukhaini as a desperate measure, but surely he would be better off just using Ignasi Miquel, Francis Coquelin or even Sebastien Squillaci for a couple of weeks until Bacary Sagna and Kieran Gibbs return to the fold.

These players at least have some Premiership experience to make up the numbers whereas someone from a minor Middle East League would surely be like a rabbit caught in the headlights if he stepped out at the Emirates against Manchester United?

Talking about those opponents, it was a real shame to see them trounced at Newcastle this evening….