Gourcuff can’t join Arsenal until after the Euros

The Lyon midfielder Yoann Gourcuff has been closely linked with a loan move to Arsenal, despite Arsene Wenger stating that the Gunners midfield is “too crowded to bring in another one in January.

But today the Lyon Chief, Jean-Michel Aulas, has made it clear that the French playmaker won’t be going anywhere until after the Euro2012 tournament this summer.

Aulas said: “The journalists writing that Gourcuff is on his way out are simply getting it wrong,”

“He will be staying. I brought him here because I thought that with him in our ranks, we would have a side with added value, especially in the Champions League.”

“He will be staying here, because with the Euros just around the corner, he’ll have the stability to turn in an excellent season and get back on track,” he said.

“Economically, it would be a mistake to let him go at a time when he can play a part in France’s tilt at the Euros, get back into peak physical form and show everyone what he is capable of.”

Although there is no space for Gourcuff in the Arsenal midfield right now, there are certain to be a few vacancies in the summer, with old-timers Arshavin, Rosicky and Benayoun expected to be departing at the end of the season.