Young French Hotshot Admits Arsenal Interest

Young French defensive star Benjamin Mendy has declared that English giants Arsenal have been keeping tabs on him for quite some time and that a move to England isn’t an unlikely one even though his plans are a bit different.

The 17-year-old was part of the French team which made it to the quarter finals of the 2011 U-17 World Cup where he was used as a left-back, and with the situation at Arsenal perhaps such a transfer wouldn’t be so farfetched.

“There was interest from a lot of clubs. I know Arsenal were one,” he said. “But I have a sensible head on my shoulders. I am still living at the education centre here with my friends who play for the reserves. I have not changed.

“After Le Havre, I would like to spend two seasons in Ligue 1 and then go to England. I would then like to go to Barcelona, where my idol Dani Alves plays.”

Arsene Wenger is a well known admirer of League 1 football so Mendy’s story is very likely to be a true one especially given his incredible abilities. Even though the left-back wants to end up at Barcelona it’s a long and hard road for him.