Chamakh – Wenger has confidence in me and I’m going back to Arsenal

The Morrocan international striker Marouane Chamakh is currently with his country at the African Cup of Nations, but amid rumours that Arsenal are trying to offload him, he has clarified that he is not leaving in January.

He revealed that he has spoken to Arsene Wenger about his future and believes that he can still contribute to the Gunners season if called upon, but he refused to rule out an exit next summer.

“I am relaxed about my future. I’ve spoken with the coach and I’m staying with Arsenal after the Africa Cup of Nations,” Chamakh said. “I think Wenger has confidence in me. It was that reason that I left Bordeaux to join Arsenal.

“I had some good performances in my first season and it’s possible that I can repeat those. My agents have had calls from other clubs, but I want to show what I can do in the next few months.

“I’m tired of the rumours, because I only want to be focused on my work for Morocco. Personally, I have a lot more in my game and I want to demonstrate my level.

“Of course I want to play more, but it’s very difficult for a forward at Arsenal. The level is very high, but that’s the challenge that I was looking for.”

Admittedly Van Persie has been in sublime form for Arsenal which has made it hard for Chamakh to get chances in the first team, but when he HAS had a chance he has not been impressive. I am sure Wenger would love to give Van Persie a rest now and then but until Chamakh regains his confidence he has no choice but to play the Dutch international.

Maybe Chamakh will regain his scoring boots this month and will return to Arsenal with his confidence intact?