Wenger – I can’t afford to lose quality like Arshavin (Eh?)

The Arsenal midfielder Andrei Arshavin has only shown flashes of his former brilliance in the last year and it has been widely expected that Arsene Wenger would be cashing in on the little Russian this month, but the manager says that he can’t afford to lose such a “quality” player at this time.

“On top of our injuries, we cannot lose players of that quality,” Wenger said when asked about the Arshavin rumours. “It is too difficult.”

Wenger has come out in Arshavin’s defence many times in the last few months after his many mediocre performances, and most Arsenal fans think that it’s time that he gave up hoping for some consistency from Arshavin, but Wenger obviously disagrees.

He has Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain waiting in the wings to oust Arshavin from the team, and I personally would like to see Wenger give an opportunity to either Chu-Young Park or Ryo Miyaichi, as I don’t believe that either of them could be a bad as Arshavin!