Wenger gives good news on Wilshere and Diaby

Arsene Wenger saw Thomas Vermaelen, Bacary Sagna, Mikel Arteta, Thierry Henry, Francis Coquelin and Lukasz Fabianski all return to the Arsenal squad for today’s brilliant comeback win over Aston Villa, and he was asked after the game if he expected any more players to return soon.

The first name on everyone’s lips is always the young genius Jack Wilshere, and he is hopeful of a quick recovery from his setback. Wenger said: “I spoke to Jack today. We have no real news yet. The first news we have had is better than expected. He is not in a boot, but I don’t know more. His morale looks quite good and I hope it will only be a short setback.There will be more tests this week.”

Another Arsenal midfielder that hasn’t figured this season is the French international Abou Diaby, who has been on an extensive fitness course in America. Wenger revealed he will be returning this week. He said: “He is coming back on Tuesday. He has been in a rehab centre and has worked very hard. We feel that when he comes back he will need three more weeks of training, so the earliest he will play will be the end of February.”

Kieran Gibbs and Johann Djourou are also expected back next weekend, which will only leave Andre Santos and Carl Jenkinson in the treatment room alongside Wishere and Diaby. Things are looking up for a change!