Wenger: Arsenal were unlucky but at least we didn’t lose!

Arsene Wenger saw his team drop to seventh in the Premiership after drawing 0-0 with Bolton Wanderers, but after three defeats in a row, the Arsenal manager believes that one point is at least an improvement on recent games, even though the Gunners had enough chances to take all three.

“We feel we have dropped two points because we had chances to win the game.” Wenger said. “But we produced a decent game against a difficult opponent who gives you the ball, marks tight and waits for their chance. We took all of the risks and we were a bit unlucky as well because we hit the bar, the post and missed some great chances. In the end we took a gamble to play four strikers and we nearly got caught in the last five minutes from a Bolton chance.

“But I cannot fault the effort, the commitment and desire to win the game. On the positive side we haven’t lost and we haven’t conceded a goal. Of course we have regrets because we did not take our chances tonight.

“Of course. In the end you could see as well that we had one day less recovery than Bolton and that we had given a lot in the second half against Aston Villa to come back and win the game. We had a few heavy legs to finish the game.

“We give our best in every game and that is what we did tonight. Journalists always talk if you are concerned but it is about the game you have played just now. You do not go in after a game and think it is the most difficult period.

“We had even more difficult periods when we won championships and went six games without a win. It’s part of football when you lose three games like we did, when you do not lose the fourth game it is already not too bad.”

It may not be too bad, but it doesn’t help us get back into the Champions League places, It’s great that Arsenal have got a proper defence at last but the fact remains that if Van Persie doesn’t score – no-one does……