Sagna impressed with the performances of Yennaris and Coquelin

The Arsenal right back Bacary Sagna is returning from three months out with a broken leg sustained in October, but he has been in the stands for every Arsenal game since and he has been particularly impressed by Nico Yennaris and Francis Coquelin when they have been called up to cover his right-back position.

Sagna said: “They’ve done well, it’s not easy when you have to change position. I don’t see myself playing for two or three months at centre-back for example!

“You have to adapt, and at this level you don’t get a lot of time to do that. The pace is different on the flanks and you have to cover a bit more distance, but the guys have coped well.”

“They’re amazing,” he continued. “They just play and don’t worry about anything.

“I was happily surprised with Nico’s performance against Bolton back in October – he closed down really well and imposed himself well. He did an equally good job when he came on against Manchester United, and I’m very pleased for him – he’s a hard worker and deserves a lot of credit.

“It’s the same with Francis, he’s a midfield player first of all but he’s given his best at right-back and we know that he’s very good technically too.”

Although Coquelin has made it clear that he would rather be playing in midfield, Yennaris has stated that he is comfortable playing on the right flank. Perhaps he will become a competitor for Sagna and Jenkinson in the future?