Wenger looking forward to return of a new improved Gervinho

The Arsenal striker/winger Gervinho seemed to be lacking the confidence to put away the ball before he left for the African Nations Cup, but he came good in yesterday’s semi-final where he scored a brilliant individual goal to help the Ivory Coast beat Mali and reach the Final.

Arsene Wenger believes that this can only add to his confidence when he returns to Arsenal. Wenger said: “It was a cracking goal against Mali,”

“They were the better side but he made the difference. They scored only one goal, Gervinho made it and you can basically say he scored it on his own because he started on the halfway line and finished in a cool way.

“Sometimes he rushes his decisions a little bit but I was very happy that he kept calm and finished in a very controlled way.

“That’s great news for his confidence and his country as well because I believe they are the best team in Africa by a big distance at the moment. Hopefully they will get rewarded in the final.

“He creates those dangerous situations but the coolness he misses a little bit. That can help him to do that. I feel he proved that with us.

“Also, who doesn’t want to be a hero in his own country? That will help him to be recognised in his own country and therefore boost his confidence levels.”

Gervinho will need to be on his toes when he gats back as he will have to try and dislodge Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from his berth on the left wing. It seems certain that Wenger will probably rotate the two now that he has revealed his fears about overplaying The Ox…..