Should Wenger take a chance on Gibbs against Milan?

The Arsenal left-back Kieran Gibbs hasn’t played for the Gunners since October, and as he approched full fitness a couple of weeks ago Arsene Wenger said that the injury-prone youngster was lacking in confidence and possibly needed a few reserve games to get him up to scratch.

Thomas Vermaelen has been filling in on the left flank for a while (although he is not happy playing out of position), but with the freak injury to Per Mertesacker last week it looks like the Belgian will be needed back at centre-back alongside Koscielny, although Johann Djourou has also flown to Italy.

So Wenger is considering throwing Gibbs to the Italian lions on his first match back. Wenger said: “To be a player is to come in and show how good you are when you get your chance,”

“I believe physically and mentally he is ready. But if I start him, which is not decided yet, I do not want to put too much pressure on him because we want a good team performance. Gibbs is a good player.

“I will find the most natural solution, which means I will put Vermaelen back in the middle. Gibbs looks to be ready so I might look to start him but I have not decided completely yet.”

If you were Wenger, would you put Gibbs straight in as a starter against Milan, even though he hasn’t played a competitive game for four months, or would you leave Vermaelen on the left and partner Djourou (or Song?) alongside Koscielny?