Bergkamp – Arsenal are missing the English mentality and need more goalscorers

The Arsenal legend Dennis Bergkamp does not believe that this Arsenal team is yet good enough to take on the best in Europe on a consistent basis, and thinks they are missing things like a “winning mentality” and rely on Robin Van Persie too much to score the goals.

He said: “Arsenal need more of a winning mentality than a passing mentality”.

“I’m not sure Arsenal have enough of that in their players, when the attitude becomes more important than the ability just to pass the ball,”

“I don’t know if the English mentality is missing a little bit. Sometimes I see their games and it’s always the same way of playing, a bit too predictable.”

“It needs to be more diverse. You need a few strong characters who can get the team going, in training as well as matches. You also need a few players who can make a difference in terms of scoring goals. I don’t feel there are enough of them,”

“You can’t only depend on one or two players. When they’re having an off-day, you need someone else.”

He may be right that Arsenal have been found wanting at times this year, but if the Gunners never had any defensive injuries, and Jack Wilshere and Oxlade-Chamberlain (with the English mentality) were on the pitch all the time to help Van Persie, would we still be so predictable?