French Star Hints To Arsenal Move

Amid rumours linking Arsenal with a possible move for French League 1’s top scorer Olivier Giroud, both the club and the player are hinting to a possible summer departure, but not until the end of the EURO 2012 tournament.

“I want to play in the Champions League and Montpellier’s efforts to qualify will play an important role in any decision regarding my future,” Giroud said.

“I am really blossoming here but I don’t want to think too much about the future. I just want to focus on one thing at once.”

Club chairman Louis Nicollin also admitted that it’s very likely for Giroud to leave in the summer after the EURO 2012.

“Olivier is a high level footballer,” he told L’Equipe.

“If he wants to play another year with us, that would be good.

“But, if he ends the season as the top scorer in France and plays with Les Bleus at Euro 2012, how could we keep him?

“He won’t stay on his current wages, and they are already high.

“If he wants to join a big club and we can make the deal work for us, we would not look to keep him against his will.”

After losing Henry, Wenger will have to find a top striker especially given that Chamakh is likely to leave the club in the summer after not being played as much as he probably would have liked, and Giroud is surely one of the best options on Wenger’s shortlist.