Wenger – Arsenal still have the target to beat Spurs and finish Fourth

Arsene Wenger saw his Arsenal team get knocked out of the FA Cup by Sunderland this weekend, but he is adamant that their season is far from over as the main target is still alive; to finish in the Champions League places, which he considers as good as any trophy.

“The first trophy is to finish in the top four,” Wenger said. “And that’s still possible. I believe finishing fourth is vital for us, so let’s focus on that.”

“We put a lot of spirit into playing Sunderland and if we keep that spirit and recover a little bit physically then we can win the next game,”

He was then asked if the disastrous reverses suffered by Arsenal lately meant that he was already considering splashing out in the transfer market this summer to strengthen the squad but he refused to commit himself. “When everybody is available we have what it takes at the club and we will add what it takes,” he said. “But at the moment we’re not making plans for next season, we’re making plans for the next game.

“We have many missing: big, big players, too. We’re in February and Wilshere has played zero games, Diaby has played zero games, Mertesacker is out for the season and Santos for three months. That would be difficult for any club in the world to deal with. But let’s win our next game and we’ll be fine.”

It certainly makes the next game a must-win for the Gunners, but it will certainly not be easy as Arsenal host Tottenham in the great North London derby. Wenger’s players need to dust themselves off and come back out fighting to regain some local pride at least (and hang on to that coveted Fourth Place!)