Wenger admits he turned down chance of Adebayor return

In an interesting development ahead of today’s big North London derby between Arsenal and Tottenham, Arsene Wenger has admitted that he was offered the chance to bring Emmanuel Adebayor back to the Emirates after selling him to Manchester City for 25 million.

Adebayor quickly fell out of favour at Man City as Roberto Mancini bought more and more top class strikers, but Adebayor played reasonably well out on loan at Real Madrid. But this season he was offered to Arsenal before he went on to be an integral part of Tottenhams improvement this season.

But Wenger turned down the chance on a matter of principle (and also perhaps because he was universally hated by Arsenal fans?) Wenger remarked: “It does not make sense to sell a player and then get him back on loan.

“Once you move forward, you move forward. We had strikers — Chamakh, Park and Van Persie.”

Well perhaps Wenger thought we had strikers! But Park and Chamakh have had practically zero playing time this year, although luckily Robin Van Persie has been scoring enough goals for all three of them!

How many Arsenal fans would have welcomed Adebayor back to the team?