Van Persie – Now is the time to play football!

Arsenal’s captain Robin Van Persie has admitted that he will indeed negotiate a potential contract extension, but not until the summer break comes along. Until then the captain wants to be able to focus on the job at hand and on getting Arsenal back into the Champions League next season.

“There have been a lot of stories, generally contradictory ones, about my contract situation recently so I’d like to make it clear,” the Arsenal captain said in Sunday’s Official Matchday Programme.

“There’s nothing complicated or sinister – the club and I have both agreed to speak at the end of the season and see how things stand. The boss, Ivan Gazidis and I are all comfortable with it.

“I need all my focus to be on football – on captaining this team, improving every day, doing extra work on the training pitch and preparing for the very busy schedule of fixtures we have.

“If I look down the list, there’s not much time to sit down and think about anything else!

“For me, this is a time to play football and not speak about personal things. All of my energy needs to go on getting this team where we want it to be this season.”

Rumours are that the Gunners are going to make the team captain an offer he can’t refuse; being ready to offer him a £5 million signing fee and a massive £130,000 weekly wage.

If the Gunners are really going to offer him that they will be forced to cancel their current restrictive wage policies, but Wenger really needs to keep hold of Robin who has proven that he’s perhaps the best striker in the world at the moment.