Wenger – Every great team needs an exceptional leader

The Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger may not have ever been in charge of an international side, but he thinks that to have great success with your country you need to have an outstanding leader on the pitch.

Being French he obviously remembers the players that led France to glory like Zinedine Zidane and Michel Platini. He said: “I believe that you can have a good team yet still not win trophies with a national team because you need one exceptional leader in the side,”

“I remember the France side of the late 1950s and early ‘60s with Raymond Kopa in the team had a very good period. Then again in the 1980s with Michel Platini; then we had a very good period in the 1990s with Zinedine Zidane.

“Of course there were fantastic players around him, like Patrick Vieira and Emmanuel Petit, but you need one outstanding leader who can absorb the pressure from the media. You need one player who can be the technical leader on the pitch, who can do something special to win a tight game.

“You must be lucky as a national manager to have that player available at the right moment.”

I wonder he will be having a bet on Holland to win the Euros now as they have our very own Robin Van Persie…