Ibrahimovic complains that Wenger didn’t try to persuade him to join Arsenal

Milan’s star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic remembers how he came very close to sign for Arsenal back when he was still a fresh young player performing for Malmo in Sweden.

Back then Arsene asked him to have a trial at the club and Zlatan refused to do that thinking that he shouldn’t have to prove his skill despite he was still an obscure player.

“Arsene gave me the famous red and white jersey – the number nine shirt with Ibrahimovic on it and I was so pleased I even posed for a picture wearing it.

“It was a fantastic moment for me. Arsenal had a great team then and here was an Arsenal shirt made just for me.

“So then I waited for him to convince me that I should join Arsenal. But he didn’t even try.

“He never actually made me a serious offer, it was more, ‘I want to see how good you are, what kind of player you are. Have a trial’.

“I couldn’t believe it. I was like, ‘No way, Zlatan doesn’t do auditions’.

“I thought ‘You either know me or you don’t and if you don’t know me you can’t really want me’.”

Ibrahimovic turned out an unbelievable player and Wenger is surely kicking himself every time he remembers those moments, but one thing is for sure, the Swede didn’t lose his personality ever since and still proves he’s a hard nut to crack and a stubborn guy.

And no-ones ever doubted the size of his ego!