Wenger – It wasn’t our best game, but Liverpool didn’t kill us off

Arsene Wenger saw Arsenal destroy Tottenham last week, but he was happy to admit that Liverpool were actually the better team at Anfield yesterday but they just didn’t supply the killer punch in a very one-sided first half.

Wenger said after the game: “It was vital for us to win the game. Liverpool had a very good first half and we were not in the game – what was flattering for us was to be 1-1 at half time. The second half was much more level. We had some good chances as well, they had maybe one from Martin Kelly. But they had no clear-cut chances in the second half.

“They had to win the game, and we know that we have Van Persie who can deliver something special. Overall it was not one of our best games, but we refused to give in and we played as well as we could. Our goalkeeper and centre forward made the difference.

Wenger was not sure about the reasons why Arsenal were so lacklustre in the first half. He said: “I don’t know why. It is down to the quality of Liverpool in the first half and everybody was away the whole week on international duty. Song came back on Friday morning, Gervinho and Benayoun as well.

“Liverpool played with a rhythm and pace above us in the first half and our fluency was not there at all, we gave them too much room. But as long as you are not killed off in the Premier League, you always have a chance as every team has quality strikers to score goals.”

And Arsenal have THE best quality striker around at the moment. Two fantastic goals from Robin to win us the game, and Koscielny’s was a pretty good effort as well!

***Liverpool v Arsenal Extended Highlights***