Robin Van Persie hints again at staying at Arsenal next season

There has been much talk about Robin Van Persie’s delayed contract talks, but whenever you listen to him it seems quite clear that he has no intention of ever leaving Arsenal. Today he has yet again indicated his willingness to be at the Emirates next season by rallying his team-mates to continue in this fantastic run of form for the whole year.

“If you look at the last couple of weeks, we showed we have a lot of character in our side,” Van Persie said on Arsenal.com.

“After the two defeats to Milan and Sunderland, everyone was like ‘this is going to be a tough couple of weeks’ because we had games against Spurs, Liverpool, Milan and an international week and then Newcastle. Yet we won every game, so we showed lots of character. We can be proud of that.

“Now we need to show that over a period of a whole year. That is very hard and only the best of the best teams have that in them. Look at Barcelona for example. They have a special team there, they are playing most games – 9 out of 10 – really well and working hard. We need to have a run like that for months and even win the ugly games.

“We showed signs that we can do it because against Liverpool we didn’t play well but still nicked it. Sometimes it is necessary to win those games. We came from behind in the past four games and ended up winning the game. That shows we can do it, not only once or twice or three times, but lots of times. So why not show it 20 times or whenever it is needed?”

It is fantastic that Van Persie is demonstrating that he really is the captain of the team, quite unlike whoever was in charge last season. And I reckon we can all sleep softly in our beds confident that our great captain will still be at Arsenal next season, and for many years to come.