Wenger – Vermaelen is happily married to Arsenal!

It is very well-known that both Robin Van Persie and Theo Walcott are entering the last year of their contracts at Arsenal this summer, but Thomas Vermaelen was in the exact same postion when this season began.

But the Belgian international unilaterally decided to show his loyalty to the Gunners by signing a contract extension very early this season, and Arsene Wenger believes that this shows Vermaelens love of being an Arsenal player.

“That is why people love him and respect him,” Wenger said. “Somewhere as well you must give us some credit. We took him from Ajax, when nobody knew about him and he became a player. So it is give and give. Then you have a happy marriage.

“I was always clear he was part of the team you build for tomorrow, no matter what happens at the end of the season. That is still true today.

“We don’t know what happens at the end of the season but Vermaelen has the class to play for Arsenal so you want him to sign for a long contract. The fact he did it made me very happy.”

And it made a lot of Arsenal fans happy too Arsene! Now you just need to have a ‘chat and a cup of coffee’ with Van Persie and Walcott, then we will all be even happier!