“M’Vila will be better than Vieira for Arsenal”

Former France legend Marcel Desailly declared that the Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger should do anything possible to sign Rennes’ midfielder Yann M’Vila, who will be a much bigger player for the Gunners than Patrick Vieira in his opinion.

Desailly declared that M’Vila still needs time to adjust to the rigors of top football, but given time he can become one of the greatest players in Arsenal’s history.

“I would just say that if I was the chairman of a Premier League club I would just close my eyes and put the figure on the cheque to get him,” Desailly told Goal.com.

“Because he is really the future. The talent is there. It is obvious.

“Arsenal is probably a stable club where he can have a bit of time or United where he has time to assimilate the changing of clubs and start slowly to perform.

“He needs to come to the Barclays Premier League. We want him in this competition because it is the best, first of all, and he can really develop his skills. It is for players who like to play with tempo.

“You can see by the way he gets the ball, control and passes straight away. Long ball, short ball. He has that sort of rhythm that the Barclays Premier League is demanding.”

“He is doing too much on the field,” he said. “He is defending and trying also to create and make the difference up the field. He has to reduce his commitment up the field.

“He is a defensive midfielder. If you defend very well anything extra you do is fine. First of all, stick on one thing – defending very well and passing very quickly to the offensive players.

“Once he will have understood that you will see he is the best midfielder – better even than Patrick Vieira.”

Wenger, according to the newspapers, has already made his first signing this summer in Lucas Podolski, and now he’s chasing after the signature of the young French star who is also wanted by a host of European top clubs.

With Arsenal only having Alex Song as a top experienced defensive midfielder (although he spends most of his time attacking!), Wenger needs a classy backup and M’Vila seems to be the best option by far.

Do you think Wenger will splash the cash for M’Vila if he is that good?