Bendtner – I never said I was one of the best players in the world!

The Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner, who has currently hit some form at his loan club Sunderland, has admitted that he is still very confident as a footballer, but he gets “annoyed” when interviewers repeat the rumour that he once said he was one of the best players in the world.

Martin O’Neill recently said that Bendtner may finally be as good as he thinks he is, and Bendtner agreed that O’Neill often made remarks about his self-belief. “The manager does joke with me about it sometimes,” said Bendtner. “I don’t know how other people think of their confidence and how other people rate themselves, but I do have confidence. I don’t see why I shouldn’t.”

“The only thing I’m tired of is that I apparently said I was one of the best players in the world, which I never said. That is the only thing that really annoys me, which is repeated all of the time. I don’t always enjoy interviews.

“One thing I have said is that one day I could potentially be among the players who have scored the most goals in the Premier League. I said that because I genuinely believe it.”

As for the possibility of him joining Sunderland on a permanent basis, he pretended that he hasn’t thought about it. “I haven’t given it much thought,” he said. “I really like the club and the manager has done really well since he came in here but I haven’t given it any thought yet.

“I still have two years left with Arsenal, it isn’t just up to me. Ideally it would only be in my hands but I’m just waiting to see in the summer. We’ve got the Euros, then in the summer after the Euros we will see where we are.”

One thing is certain is that he doesn’t particularly like living in the North-East, far away from the bright lights and clubs of London. Bendtner continued: “The difference is massive, of course. I don’t think I’ve ever lived so far from London. I had a loan with Birmingham but it was only two hours from London, so I could easily just drive there all the time. Of course, it is a big difference living up here.

“I spend all of my time in the house, I don’t really go outside the door. When I do it’s mainly to see my son living in London. It wasn’t the same in London, it’s a total culture change. All my friends are back there as well.

“I have still enjoyed my time at the club (Sunderland), that’s the main thing – that the football is decent. Of course the lifestyle is important but I knew there would be a change when I moved.

“I can’t speak for other people but I like to live a full life. I like to be able to do things all the time so it’s a big change for me there.”

For someone who spends all his time in the house, he has still managed to get into more trouble in six months in Sunderland than he did in all his years at Arsenal. Perhaps he should stay at home just a little more often!