Wenger – Arsenal dominated City and deserved the points

The Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was delighted after winning the extremely hard derby game against Manchester City. After the Citizens took away quite a few Arsenal stars in the last few years and also defeated the Gunners undeservedly in the home leg, Wenger the players acted like it was their sole purpose to take their revenge.

“It was a very well-taken goal. I think it gave us three points that we deserved because we dominated the game.

“They had one or two good periods but overall, after 10 minutes in the second half, it was all us.

“I always felt the goal would come. We kept going and at home recently we have produced some outstanding performances.

“We have taken 24 points out of 27 so we have improved as a team, that is for sure. If we had not lost our games in January, we could be there challenging.”

Arteta’s goal came in a timely manner because it seemed that City had the same amount of good luck as they did in the home leg. Arsenal missed a bunch of chances before the goal came, but there were a lot of positives in the match as the Gunners kept the pressure on a side like City all match long.

The only big negative was (again) Ramsey’s performance, when he had a big chance to prove his doubters wrong but fluffed his lines. Even a simple pass to his (annoyed) captain would have done, but his solo effort was abysmal. We can only hope that he regains his confidence before next season, but for the moment he should be restricted to cameo performances.

Arsenal v Man City Highlights***