Wenger – Arsenal’s defeats were due to mental reasons

Arsenal went on a fantastic run of wins to put themselves in the driving seat for the third automatic Champions League place, but defeats to both QPR and Wigan in their last three games has left them urgently needing a win against a resurgent Chelsea to retain their favourites tag to finish Third.

Wenger thinks that these two blips against “lesser” teams were due to “mental reasons”. “We had a little blip twice I believe for mental reasons,” Wenger said on Arsenal.com. “Maybe subconsciously we thought, ‘Ok, maybe that would be a little bit easier’ and if you do not keep a clean sheet against these teams then you put yourself in trouble.

“You give any team in the world a two-goal advantage and it is difficult. Many times we have come back but not always.

“I don’t know how many more wins we need, we just want to win the next one. I believe our target is just that. We have to think that we have been on a great run, we have a fantastic opportunity but we also just need to focus on the next game and win it.

“Only the third place guarantees you to be in the Champions League anyway.”

That could be doubly true if Chelsea go on to shock Barcelona and then take the Champions League trophy, as the Fourth place will then only qualify you for the Europa League. It is highly likely that Roberto Di Matteo will have to rotate his team to keep them fresh for the crucial second leg in Spain next week, so Arsenal will have no excuses if they fail to make certain of the three points.

Can Arsenal do it? YES!!!!!