Wenger confident of strong response from Arsenal after Wigan shock

The Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger’s worries are not over, despite the fact that the Gunners are now resting on a comfortable five point lead in front of arch rivals Tottenham in the Premier League table with only four games to go this season. It looks easier to predict the winner of the mobile slots Jackpot than to know which teams will finish in third and fourth place this season!

Wenger admits that winning the match against Chelsea is an all important job for Arsenal who have to prove that the Wigan defeat was nothing more than a mistake.

“It was still a shock to lose the game on Monday night but I still feel, having watched it again, that it was under very special circumstances,” said Wenger. “We conceded the two goals because of the injury of Arteta.

“We cannot change that now and what is at stake is that we have to respond in a positive way in a derby that is always very intense and always very exciting.

“This is a massive game for us, of course, and I don’t need to look at the table to know that because the table is in my head.

“Overall we have been remarkably consistent in the last two months and I am confident we will have a very strong response tomorrow.

“We know what is at stake tomorrow and we know that we maybe had one chance to win the game against Wigan. We will not be allowed two, and we know that.

“Like always after a big disappointment you focus on the next one. It is part of getting over defeats without losing your confidence. You have to make sure that your energy is transformed into frustration in the next game.”

Wenger will have a bit of a problem in the game against Chelsea as Arsenal will have to make do without Arteta, and Coquelin is still not fit to take his place in the starting eleven. The midfield situation is now worse than ever at Arsenal with Ramsey extremely out of form and Benayoun ineligible, but perhaps Wenger will opt for a more offensive line-up with Song and Rosicky in the middle of the park.

Koscielny is due to return after his two match ban, so the central defender paiingr with Vermaelen will be reunited, and Gibbs is also ready for action if Wenger will choose him over Santos.

Chamberlain is expected to start after yet another poor display from Gervinho against Wigan, while Walcott, Robin Van Persie and Sagna will surely be a part of the first eleven.