Wenger – Van Persie will need a rest before the Euro 2012 tournament

The Arsenal captain Robin Van Persie has played over 50 games for Arsenal this season, which is more than he has EVER played before in a full season. But his prolific scoring exploits have dried up lately with just one goal in his last six games and Arsene Wenger thinks that the Dutchman will need a rest before this summers tournament, where Holland are the among the favourites in most Euro 2012 predictions.

But Wenger doesn’t believe that tiredness is affecting Van Persie’s play right now, but he just hasn’t been getting the usual amount of chances, especially in Monday’s defeat to Wigan.

“No, he is physically good,” said the manager. “He has a very healthy life, very focused on football – he takes care of everything. That’s why he manages to do that. He is like Thierry Henry in that respect.

“When you play 50 games at that level you suffer a little bit. But on the actual night against Wigan I think he suffered a little bit because we didn’t create a lot, and you have to give Wigan credit for that.

“I think first if all 50 games is beyond expectation and for a striker it’s massive. It’s important for Robin to get a breather before the European Championships – that will be very important.”

Arsenal just need Van Persie to keep going for four more games, and hopefully score the winning goal in each one!