Jan Vertonghen keeps Arsenal guessing

The Arsenal primary target Jan Vertonghen spoke about the possible move which may occur in the summer, but although all signs pointed towards a switch to the Emirates he’s still thinking about a stay and nothing has been decided yet.

Being targeted by Arsenal for quite some time now, Vertonghen flirted with the Gunners and their arch rivals Tottenham stating that he would love a move to either of the two clubs, but now he doesn’t seem too sure he’s ready to leave Holland.

“Everyone has already made their peace with the fact that I’ve gone, but I’ve not gone yet.

“I have a year left on my contract and I haven’t decided anything. I’m still at Ajax.”

Rumours have appeared that Mertesacker’s time on the Emirates may have ended with the injury he picked up against Sunderland, and that means he must be replaced. Regardless if the giant German will be sold or not, Vertonghen’s skills could be put to good use at Arsenal.

Vertonghen is naturally a central defender, but he is often used as a defensive midfielder or even as a left-back, as his offensive abilities often motivate him into joining the attack exactly the way Veramelen does it every time at Arsenal. Do you think that the two Belgian stars would make a good defensive pairing?