Podolski looking forward to playing with Per Mertesacker

When asked about his reasons for choosing Arsenal over some other clubs, the prolific German striker Lukas Podolski was effusive about his new club. “When you look at Arsenal, with a fantastic manager, good environment and never any bad press surrounding the club, they are playing attractive football and have a great stadium and great fans.”

Although the 26-year old has only spoken to Arsene Wenger briefly on the phone, he has been assured by international team-mate Per Mertesacker that he will be happy at the Emirates. “ I think the club will be a very good fit for me…I am happy to play with someone whom I’ve known for a very long time, who speaks German and with whom I get along very well. Therefore I believe he’ll make it easy for me to settle down.”

We certainly hope that he can soon discover his form, having scored 18 goals in 30 appearances for relegation threatened Cologne this season. His international statistics are mouth watering, with 43 goals in just 95 games for Germany

“The goal has to be to win titles over the next years.” If he fits in as well as he hopes and Van Persie stays fit, Arsenal need to strengthen their spine and he might be right.