Vertonghen’s agent admits Tottenham interest

Everyone has been assuming that the Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen would be Arsenal’s next acquisition after the arrival of Lukas Podolski as he has made it clear that he wants to rejoin his friend and international team-mate Thomas Vermaelen at the Emirates.

But now Wenger has seemed to imply that he won’t be making any more purchases just yet (and Per Mertesacker’s return will be like a new signing!) and it now looks like Harry Redknapp’s Tottenham side have taken over in pole position to sign the talented Belgian.

His agent Mustapha Nakhli said yesterday: “There is enormous interest. A number of clubs have made concrete approaches, with Tottenham among them,”

“Jan has a few dream clubs. Playing at the top of the Premier League is something he has worked really hard for.”

Who thinks we can now cross Vertonghen off our list of possible arrivals at Arsenal? Or should we all wait to see who finally ends up in the Champions League places?