Vertonghen – Tottenham and Ajax don’t agree on my transfer fee

It seems that Arsenal and Tottenham’s transfer target, Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen, has reached a decision regarding where he’s going to be next year, but the deal is far from being agreed with his club Ajax.

The defensive star who visited the Emirates Stadium earlier this season when Arsenal met Milan on home ground seemed a sure target for the Gunners. French manager Arsene Wenger has publicly stated that he is a very interesting player, and everybody expected to see Vertonghen alongside Vermaelen next season in Arsenal’s center defense, or at least playing as a defensive midfielder next to Song. Now it’s very hard to see Vertonghen at Arsenal, after the Belgian said to De Telegraaf newspaper: “The Ajax board are asking for a very big amount for a player whose contract is running out in year,”

“I trust that both Tottenham and Ajax will put some water in the wine and they will soon reach an agreement.
“I owe a lot to Ajax but I have always given my heart and soul. My appreciation for the club and fans is great and it would be terrible if my farewell was marred by Ajax sticking to a great price.

“Of course I want Ajax to gain financially but the amount Tottenham are willing to pay – perhaps with a little extra – is very reasonable.”

It now seems that Rennes’ defensive midfielder Yann M’Vila is the most important target for Wenger, but the £17m fee the French are asking for the 21-year-old is sure to cause some delay in the negotiations.