Spurs refuse to meet Ajax valuation for Jan Vertonghen

It seemed like a done deal that the Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen would be on his way to White Hart Lane this summer, but the two clubs are apparently miles apart in their valuation of the talented 25-year-old.

It is being reported that Tottenham are offering just €10million for Vertonghen, who has only one year left on his contract with the Dutch giants, but Ajax won’t budge from their price of €15million.

Vertonghen is now worried that the two clubs could leave him on limbo by haggling about the price all summer. “Tottenham are absolutely my favourite,” the defender told De Telegraaf. “Tottenham is a fantastic football club that has the tradition I want. They buy young, eager, offensive-minded players.

“But the Ajax board are asking for a very big amount for a player whose contract is running out in a year. I trust that both Tottenham and Ajax will put some water in the wine and they will soon reach an agreement.

”I hope that this awareness is there, because a transfer lingering for weeks like Maarten Stekelenburg’s to Roma seems very harsh.

“He joined at the end of Roma’s preparation for the new season. I want to be able to blend in with the other players at Spurs from the start of pre-season training.”

So it sounds like he is still desperate to move to the Dark Side but he could come back on the market if someone matches their asking price. Is Vertonghen worth €15million? And should Wenger still go for him?