Should Arsenal grab Vertonghen just to annoy the Spuds!

The crowd was on the pitch. They thought it was all over. Jan Vertonghen was moving to White Hart Lane. We heard things like the player telling Ajax not to bother talking to other clubs and that Spurs were his favourite club. Now, reports the Daily Star, Vertonghen has said “the talks haven’t progressed…but Arsenal want me too. They remain a possibility if my Spurs move falls through, as Ajax are asking 15 million euros for me.”

The Ajax captain does not want to fall out with the club where he started his professional career in 2006, but thinks he is overpriced for a player with just one year left on his contract. He has already visited White Hart Lane and been visited in Holland by Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy. Personal teams have been agreed but Spurs are baulking at the transfer fee.

The 25-year old can play anywhere in the left or as a central defender and has a ferocious shot. His versatility could persuade Arsene Wenger to step in and offer Ajax what they want. Harry Redknapp could also push for the extra money. It depends on how much he really wants Vertonghen.

Should Arsenal buy him just to piss off Tottenham?