Debate : Does Wenger Deserve A New Contract?

Now that the summer transfer window has slammed shut, Arsenal’s attention have turned to securing the immediate future of the club’s longest serving manager Arsene Wenger. According to Daily Mirror, the club’s hierarchy is keen on agreeing a new 2 year deal with Wenger. According to¬†william hill online betting odds, Wenger is 1/4 to sign a new Arsenal deal.

Arsenal fans had requested that plug should be pulled on talks over a new deal after a rather quiet summer window and the consequent home loss to Aston Villa but recent developments which include a string of 4 wins and the unbelievable transfer acquisition of Real Madrid German midfielder Mesut Ozil have swung the pendulum in the favour of a new deal for Wenger.

One of the talking points was the Frenchman’s persuasive power that helped in convincing Ozil to move to the Emirates and also the threat issued by star midfielder Jack Wilshere that should the Frenchman be forced out in the wake of the unrest at the club, he would also reconsider his Arsenal future. But does the Frenchman really deserve an extension to his current deal that has till the end of the season to run.

The arguments against Wenger is the trophy drought that has stretched to 8 years and his reluctance to splash the cash on proven talents as against unproven youngsters and also the sale of the club’s top stars to rivals. In short, the Frenchman has been accused of lacking the needed drive and ambition that are required to stymie the protracted drought.

While I agree that some of the arguments against a contract renewal for Le prof are valid but some are just misplaced. The trophy drought that the club has been bedeviled with has been down to ill luck and absence of top quality. As for his reluctance to splash the cash, that has been down to the club’s financial restraints since the Emirates move. This summer, Wenger has proven with the capture of Ozil that he can actually spend big and has what it takes to land a top notch quality. Despite PSG’s spending power and Manchester United’s late interest, Wenger’s persuasive powers sealed the deal.

As for selling our top stars, Wenger once again proved this summer that he can keep hold of our best legs and keep the core of our first team intact. In the summer, he fended off interests in Koscielny from Barca and Bayern and rebuffed Athletico Madrid’s advances in Cazorla. For the first time in as many summers, Arsenal didn’t loose a single member of the main team.

Another good news is that Wenger might be having more money to spend in the winter window. According to reports, Wenger will be provided with another 40 million Pounds warchest to spend in the winter and who else will he spend it on if not the missing piece in Arsenal’s jigsaw puzzle. If he could spend 42.4 million Pounds on Ozil then he can spend 40 million Pounds on Rooney or Suarez.

Both players might be available in the winter window depending on how the first half of the season goes with regards to regular first team football for Rooney and club position for Suarez. My take is now that Arsenal are on the verge on entering a golden era with regards to having money to spend and an unbridged squad, no one is more qualified to lead the Gunners than the persevering, cunning and loyal Frenchman.