Walcott Berates Mourinho For Going Defensive Against Arsenal

Theo-Walcott

After the goalless clash between Arsenal and Chelsea at the Emirates last week Monday, Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho branded Arsenal boring because as the home side, Arsenal couldn’t muster ample shots on goal or make Blues keeper Petr Cech work but Arsenal forward Theo Walcott has hit back slamming their London rivals for parking the bus and believes that Chelsea’s “negative” tactical approach to Monday’s goalless draw should be taken as a compliment by Arsenal.

“It was a shame we didn’t create too many chances but when you have a team who come here to be negative, it’s difficult to break them down,” Walcott told the London Evening Standard.

“It gives us a lot of pleasure to know a team like Chelsea are very cautious when they play Arsenal

“I was a little bit surprised by Chelsea’s approach. Looking at the team they had attacking players in Eden Hazard, Willian and Fernando Torres.

“They did go for it at stages but when it felt like being a 0-0, they wanted to make sure it stayed a 0-0.

“Was it a vote of confidence for us for them to play that way? Without a doubt. It gives us a lot of pleasure to know a team like Chelsea are very cautious when they play Arsenal.”

Well said Walcott. While I agree Arsenal should have done more attacking wise, I berate Mourinho for making Chelsea park the bus despite having players that could have a go at winning the match. The match was dubbed the match of the week but Mourinho made it look like a relegation battle with his defensive tactics.

Apparently, he was glad to leave with a point which took him no where as there is no guarantee that Chelsea would beat Arsenal at Stamford Bridge in the reverse fixture later this season.

Arsenal should take solace from the fact that despite having Hazard, Oscar, Mata and Willian that could have caused Arsenal some problems he opted to play safe by parking the bus. The obvious fact is that Arsenal have improved this season and teams fear them even Mourinho’s Chelsea.