Wenger Hails Arsenal’s Solid Defensive Performance

Arsene Wenger

Arsenal went to White Hart Lane needing a victory to keep up in the race for the Premier League title and that was exactly what they did. Tomas Rosicky scored a thunderbolt within two minutes and it appeared like a big victory was on the cards.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had a number of chances to make it two but missed. From then on, it was all Tottenham and the Gunners had to put up a massive defensive effort to hang on. Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny were brilliant for the duration of the game as the kept spur at bay.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the game Wenger said : ” We absorbed a lot of pressure today from Tottenham.

“We scored an early goal and so we were protecting our lead and we didn’t take advantage enough of our counter-attacks, especially in the first half.

“As long as you don’t score a second goal, you are under pressure. Tottenham played well today, they had a very good game and defensively we needed to be special.

“If you look at clear cut chances, we had better chances. They had a lot of possession today, a lot of domination. I agree we didn’t have our usual possession but that is down to their effort and commitment.

“But as well, you have to give credit to our defensive quality.”

This win keeps the Gunners level on points with Liverpool who destroyed Manchester United and four points behind Chelsea who have played a game more. Many have criticized our “ugly” win but personally, I do not mind winning ugly if it means we are going to end the trophy drought. No one will remember how beautiful you play for too long but many will remember how much laurels you win.

The performance of the players on Sunday showed that they are no longer boys but now men. Two seconds ago, we would have left the lane with either a point or no points at all. Champions do not necessarily have to be convincing in all games. The most important thing is efficiency and effectiveness which we are gradually proving to the world that we have.