Wenger Wanted Me To Play As Striker Claims 40m Star

Current African Player of the year, and Manchester City midfielder, Yaya Toure has revealed that Arsene Wenger wanted him as a striker when he came on trial some years ago.

The player, who has scored 20 goals for his club this season, is capable of playing as a holding midfielder or in any role upfront.

The player, who came in trials at Arsenal in 2003 could not sign for the club because of passport issues, and had to leave for a different country. The former Barcelona midfielder is one of the most hardworking players in the Man City team.

“When I was in Belgium, I went to Arsenal for a couple of months to give me some training and I remember my first chat I had with Arsene. Yaya Toure told Manchester City’s youtube page.

“He asked me, ‘Which position do you want to play?’

“I said, ‘Midfielder’.

“He said: ‘Why? When I saw you training, for me, you looked more like a striker.’”

While it is difficult to say whether Toure would have made it as a striker if he had stayed at the club; there is no doubt that Wenger is a coach who has the experience when it comes to brining talented players through.

He is known all over the world as one of the best coaches who has the ability of not only spotting talents; but brining them through. A case in mind is Cesc Fabregas, who under Wenger became one of the best midfielders in Europe when he was at Arsenal.

Toure, whose elder brother played for Arsenal before leaving to join Manchester City would have been one of the best signings Wenger had made if things didn’t turn out the way they did. He gives his current team a physical presence, and creates, and also scores goals at will; which is not what you see in a lot of players these days.

Wenger may not have been wrong if he wanted to convert Toure into a striker; perhaps, he saw some qualities that even the player could not see at that time. Who knows, maybe he would have become one of the most potent strikers in the world today.