Wenger Ready For Top 4 Challenge

How Arsenal have suffered reversal of fortune in recent weeks. The reversal of fortune has seen Arsenal drop from title contenders to top 4 and with the recent setback against Everton, their top 4 place is now in jeopardy and no longer in their hands. Should the Toffees win their remaining 6 league matches this season, they will finish in 4th above Arsenal, hence Arsenal would need them to lose at least one of their remaining games to have their top 4 fate back in their hands. With Everton still to play Manchester City and Manchester United, it isn’t out of place to expect them to drop points.

But it is a different thing for Everton to drop points, it is a different thing for Arsenal to seize the initiative. With the way Arsenal are playing at the moment, they can’t be trusted to win their remaining matches but Wenger has vowed to get his team back in shape.

“I am absolutely 100% determined to fight to make the top four but it will be difficult,” said Wenger.

“We have still a programme that is feasible but we have to first focus on the quality of our performances before we dream of places.

“Let’s get back to playing better than that. Our performance was not convincing, not defensively, not offensively.

“We had a lot of the ball and were not really dangerous. At the moment we lack a bit of confidence to be dangerous and lack penetration as well.

“You feel from outside that the penetration and incisiveness of our games is missing.

“Everton were better and deserved to win. It was a very disappointing result and a very disappointing performance.
“We have to regroup and get back to basics.

“The fight is very open and is depending not only on us. Everton are in a strong position but we have confronted that before and it is how we respond.”

Wenger was asked whether fear was gripping his side as their previously unchallenged place in the top four came under threat.

“I don’t know. It is very difficult to identify that it is fear,” he added.

“Our big team defeats away from home have taken something of our charisma from the team. Is that belief? Is it fear? Is it confidence?

“I wouldn’t question the spirit of this team. They are focused and want to do well but they have lost something on the confidence front.”

It is good to know that Wenger admitted that Arsenal are struggling and urgent work needs to be done in earnest if they are to hold on to the top 4 spot. Arsenal and Wenger aren’t strangers to battle for the 4th spot having seen off Chelsea and Tottenham in the past. I believe they will also see off the challenge of the Merseysiders but Wenger has to get the boys back to form. It is good to know that Arsenal’s key midfielder Aaron Ramsey is back in action and barring any other injury, he should be available for the Gunners till the end of the season. Hopefully, his drive should aid Arsenal’s performance.

Also, Arsenal need to get a good result in the FA Cup semi-final against Wigan. That match has the prospects of making or marring our season. A win for Arsenal could see them rejuvenated for the rest of the league matches and the FA Cup final. To this end, Wenger has to rally the boy and drum the importance of the match into their ears.