Do Arsenal Need To Sign James Milner This Summer?

Arsenal are being linked with a number of players with James Milner the recent one to be linked in the press. The 28 year old England international is struggling to tie down a regular shirt with his current club, and is already prepared to try his luck elsewhere.

The England international was only able to make twelve starts in the just concluded season, and this could be the reason he wants out of a City team where he is well paid.

The midfield is one area Arsenal already boasts of a lot of talents, and except the boss intends to play the England international as defensive midfielder, I don’t see why we need to sign him. Though, he is unlikely to command a transfer fee higher than £10 Million, which is not a lot of money for Arsenal to pay; a lot of questions still need to be asked as to whether we need him or not.

A look at his contribution to the City team shows that Milner only scored two goals and made seven assists both in the league and in the Champions League for the recently crowned EPL Champions.

Milner’s major strength is in central midfield, and Arsenal could do with his power; but I doubt if Wenger would prefer him to play him along with players already occupying similar position in the team.

If signing Milner closes the door to signing a Martinez or Bender, then I am not sure Arsenal fans will be happy with that. Some people will argue that the former Aston Villa player can be what we need to replace Sagna as he can play as right back as well, to that I totally disagree. Although Milner can play the RB role he is however not a right back and if we must replace Sagna ( I still think he will stay ), then we should replace him with someone who is of equal or more talent and not a makeshift replacement.