Santi Cazorla To Athletico Madrid, Koke To Arsenal?

The rumours linking Arsenal’s Spanish midfielder Santi Cazorla with the exit door is getting intense. The former Malaga playmaker has been linked with a return back to his native country with current La Liga champions said to be leading the charge to take him to Spain.

When the summer transfer window opens, players being linked with different clubs becomes the norm. Some mere media work, other agent’s work for selfish reasons while there are few of these rumours that have substance in them. It seems the Cazorla rumour is one of the latter few. When quizzed over the rumour, Cazorla had this to say;

“When the World Cup is over, I’ll start thinking about my situation,” he said. “I don’t want to be thinking about it right now and I’ve told my agents not to tell me anything is an offer comes in.

“But I know a few of the Atlético players – Godín, Juanfran and I know the side well from when I was playing the Spanish league but until the tournament is over, I won’t know if the rumours are true or not.”

Very interesting quotes from the Spanish playmaker. I wonder what his situation is? Does he feel less important at Arsenal? I know that the presence of Ozil could have cast a shadow of doubt on him as he might believe he is no longer the key playmaker in the team as he was penultimate season when he arrived from Malaga. Let me restate here that Cazorla is still a key member of the Arsenal first team. The fact that Wenger offered him a new deal last season and also rejected the opportunity to re-sign Fabregas shows that how important Cazorla is to the current Arsenal team.

But if the rumour is true and Cazorla really pushes for the exit door for whatever reasons, Wenger needs to act fast. Cazorla leaving would leave Arsenal’s midfield bereft of experience and personality. Wenger should use Cazorla to land a top player from Athletico Madrid. The Spanish giants have a great midfielder in Koke, Arsenal should make an attempt to land him.

Chelsea were credited with an interest in the Spanish midfielder but with Fabregas in their fold now a move for his compatriot is unlikely. Koke won’t want to move to Chelsea knowing that his chances of regular first team football will be under huge doubt as he would be facing huge competition from Fabregas.

Koke has a huge buyout clause of over 40 million Pounds which Arsenal would be reluctant to pay, but an offer of Cazorla plus say 25million Pounds should be enough to seal the deal. Athletico Madrid would be getting good cash and a like for like replacement. Getting Cazorla plus cash is definitely better for them than losing him for cash only as there is little chance Arsenal will sell Cazorla to them unless Wenger knows he is getting Koke ( who we all know will end up leaving Athletico anyway )while Arsenal would be getting a similar player but a younger one who is good as a long term replacement.

To this end, I say Cazorla can go to Athletico Madrid on the condition that Koke would come to the Emirates. If this transfer plan sails through, Arsenal wouldn’t be seen as weakened but in actual fact, strengthened. Koke is on the rise while age is already catching up with Cazorla.