Sami Khedira Signs For Arsenal For £23m On A 4 Years Contract – Reports

If reports from the Spanish media are anything to go by, then Arsenal has finally completed the signing of Real Madrid and Brazil 2014 World Cup winner Sami Khedira from Real Madrid for £23 million pounds on a 4 years contract. Arsenal have been heavily linked to the German in the last few days with some reports claiming the the deal may not happen due to the German’s £150k per week wage demands.

Khedira was linked to Arsenal several times last summer, but nothing came out of the rumours and Arsenal ended up re-signing Frenchman Mathieu Flamini on a free transfer after he refused to sign a new deal with his then club AC Milan. Should the reports be true and Khedira have signed for us, having completed the signing of Alexis Sanchez from Barca in a deal reportedly worth £32 million pounds, he will be Arsenal’s second big signing this summer and the 5th German in the team.

With Khedira signing, it will so far bring Arsenal’s summer spending spree to £55m pounds. Chelsea was reportedly interested in signing the player which makes it even sweeter if it is true that the player has chosen to join Arsenal. It is been a while we see players rejecting other clubs to join Arsenal. We have had to endure many years of players rejecting the chance to sign for us in favour of other clubs and if Khedira has rejected Chelsea (just like Sanchez rejected Liverpool) to sign for us, it shows players are finally taking us seriously. These are happy times.

Personally, I do not want Khedira, not that he is not a good player, he is definitely one of the best in the world in his role but he is in my humble opinion not exactly what we need. Having seen him play many times, he is to me more of a box to box player than a defensive midfielder. I would rather we sign Morgan Schneiderlin or Lars Bender both of who are better players for the defensive midfield role. However, Wenger knows more than I do and I am just going to trust his judgment here.

I however hope it is will not be the end of our transfer business this summer. It will be great to see us signing a striker. What killed us last season was the lack of a good defensive midfielder and a good striker. The defensive midfield role seems sorted (in Wenger’s opinion anyway) but even though we have signed Alexis Sanchez who I really rate, I still do think we could do with the signing of a striker. It does not necessarily have to be a big name striker as there are not many strikers in the market at the moment who will want to change clubs or that their clubs will want to sell, but I believe we have a chance of signing someone like Wilfried Bony or Loic Remy if we want.

We simply cannot go into another season relying on Giroud. I do not see Sanchez as an EPL striker, Sanogo is definitely not ready and Joel Campbell seems likely to go on loan which means getting in a striker is important.