Wenger Rules Out Khedira Move

For some weeks now, Arsenal have been linked with a move for Real Madrid’s German midfielder Sami Khedira. Rumors have been rife that the Gunners were ready to swoop for him, some even reported that a fee had been agreed between the North Londoners and Los Blancos with Khedira’s wages the only hurdle left to cross.

It is not a surprise that Khedira is been linked with a move away. He has just a year left on his contract and all overtures to him to sign an extension have proved abortive. The reasonable thing to do is to turn him into a cash cow rather than risk him leaving for free. Arsenal on the other hand are in the market for a defensive midfield enforcer. With that, it looked like the interests of all parties concerned were in concert. Real get a buyer for their wantaway player, Khedira gets the move away and Arsenal land a new defensive midfielder. But is Khedira what Arsenal need? Without mincing words, Khedira is a fine player. You can’t be a regular for Real and Germany if you not World Class or close to. That said, there is a difference between luxury and necessity. Should Arsenal sign Khedira, he would be arriving as a luxury signing and not one to fill a necessary void.

Khedira is more of a box to box midfielder and not a defensive one. In the box to box midfield role, Wenger already has at his disposal Ramsey and Wilshere. Getting him would be jeopardizing the career of those two young players. Khedira being more experienced and commanding hefty wages will likely walk straight into the first team.

Wenger is not a manager that risks the development of his fledglings. If he stood by the struggling ones what will he do to Ramsey that is currently thriving? Certainly not bring in another player to reduce his playing time and stymie his development.

This is what Wenger had to say about the Khedira rumors

“We were never close to signing him because Jack Wilshere has come back fit and in midfield we have quite a few offensive box-to-box players,”

Refuting of the Khedira rumors doesn’t mean Wenger won’t be signing a defensive midfielder. Le Prof only meant we are well stocked in the box to box midfield role but I am quite sure he knows we are quite short in the defensive side of the midfield. With Khedira out of the picture, the transfer searchlight would be fully focused on Schneiderlin, Cavarlho and Bender. Those are players Wenger might just turn to for the steel Arsenal midfield clamours for.