Giroud Set For New Gunners Deal

Olivier Giroud looks set to commit his future to Arsenal after Arsene Wenger revealed the French striker has all but agreed a new contract with the club. Giroud, who is sidelined until the New Year with a foot injury, is on the verge of signing a two-year contract at the Emirates. Despite being ruled out for a large chunk of the season, Wenger has insisted Giroud is a key part of the squad and a player the club are desperate to keep despite some off-field issues earlier this season.

“We want stability and to keep the core of our team together and Giroud is an important player here. It is agreed. When it is completely done, we will announce it,” said the Arsenal manager.

Giroud scored 22 goals last season to build on the 17 goals he scored during his debut season following his £13 million move from Ligue 1 side Montpellier in 2012. After being used often as Arsenal’s lone striker during his time at the Emirates, Giroud’s injury forced Wenger to sign Danny Welbeck on transfer deadline day and the France international won’t find his return to the first team a clear one when he does work his way back to full fitness.

The Gunners are already six points off the pace from Premier League-leaders Chelsea and while all the latest news and updates can be found at bluesq, fans at the Emirates will be buoyed by the news that Giroud will be offering his goals for the forseeable future.

Arsenal fans will also be hoping that they are still in the Premier League title race by the time Giroud returns to the side. While Danny Welbeck has impressed since his arrival, Wenger will know Giroud’s goals could have a major say in the second half of Arsenal’s season. With Theo Walcott also closing in on a return to the first team following his own injury problems, Arsenal fans will be confident they have a strong enough forward line to mount a charge for honourscome the end of the season.