Deal Done ! – Medicals Announced, Arsenal complete signing of £70k-a-week star

Arsenal Captain Per Mertesacker has committed his future to Arsenal after agreeing a new one-year contract extension with the club according to reports in England today.

That’s according to today’s report in the Times, who claim the player has agreed a new deal despite not having played at all this season.

Mertesacker is yet to play a single minute of competitive football this season after suffering a serious knee injury during a pre-season friendly with Lens back in July.

His injury suffered in pre-season has seen him fall further down the pecking order after the arrival of summer acquisition and fellow compatriot Skodran Mustafi.

Prior to his injury Per was the first choice centre back along with Koscielny, however since the start of this season summer signing Shkodran Mustafi has formed a superb partnership with Laurent Koscielny at the back.

The German defender, who the paper say was offered a £70,000-a-week one year deal, is currently still in rehab recovering from knee and a further setback of a calf injury.

However, Arsene suggested earlier this month that the club were keen take up their option of agreeing one-year extensions with both Mertesacker and Santi Cazorla’s whose contract is also due to expire in the summer and is too sidelined with a long term injury.

The Boss was recently quoted speaking about his intention of extending both their contracts while emphasizing on their importance in the dressing room and off the pitch too saying :

    “We have an option on both of them and I think we will take it,”

    “For their qualities as football players firstly but as well for their mental guidance.

    “We need to have a balance between youth and experience. They are important in that.”

Wenger has always been vocal about the importance of having strong leaders in the dressing as their presence is felt equivocally off the pitch as well on it.

Currently he seems to be the fourth choice centre back after Gabriel so it would seem Wenger’s reasons for extending his contract is primarily to do with his experience and dressing room influence.