Ian Wright BLASTS Ivan Gazidis after controversial move to AC Milan

Arsenal legend Ian Wright says he is ‘pleased’ Ivan Gazidis is set to leave Arsenal as he is ‘not the kind of person’ the club needs in charge.

CEO Gazidis will bring his tenure at the Emirates to an end on October 31 and is joining Italian outfit AC Milan as their new CEO.

The South African oversaw the appointment of Unai Emery as Arsene Wenger’s successor in the summer.

Gazidis says leaving Arsenal was the ‘hardest decision of my life’ but Wright has criticised the 54-year-old and insists his move ‘says everything you need to know about him’.

‘I think that’s the make-up of the guy,’ Wright told Sky Sports when asked why he believes Gazidis has chosen to leave.

‘He feels this is the time to leave when really this is the time they needed a CEO to steer the ship.

‘I’m quite pleased he’s gone because it shows the person he is, that’s not the kind of person we need at Arsenal.

‘We need someone to fight for the fans and someone who can get us back to where we want to be.

‘History will judge him and it will be unfairly because I don’t think he’s done very well for us.’

Wright, who won the Premier League at Arsenal and scored 185 goals for the club, added: ‘He gave Wenger a two-year deal when people were thinking it was time to move on.

‘I don’t think he had the balls to do anything about it.

‘He’s made statements about getting behind the new structure when he knows he obviously wasn’t going to be around and that says everything I need to know about him.

‘I just hope now Arsenal get someone in who can take the club in the direction we want.’